Pligg is an open source CMS (Content Management System) that can be downloaded for free. Pligg CMS helps in creating social publishing/Social Bookmarking software that encourages visitors to register on your website so that they can submit content and connect with other users. The software helps in creating websites where the stories are created and voted by members. We can also use the Pligg CMS to create our own Social bookmarking site and the below are the steps that should be followed to install Pligg CMS on to the local server.
Requirement to Run Pligg
The Pligg Software requires
These above mentioned software’s can be downloaded and installed from a single package named WAMPSERVER
1) Download and install WAMP server (Windows / Apache / MySQL / PHP – all in one bundle for Windows) from the link given below
2) Start the WAMP server after installing the software from the above link. The WAMP icon will appear on the task bar as shown in the picture beside.
3) The installation of the WAMP server is done to create a database on your local server to run the Pligg software.
4) So after installing the WAMP server open your browser and type http://localhost in the URL.
5) A page will open up. In that click on “phpMyAdmin” which is present on the lower left.
6) Now the home page of phpMyAdmin will open up. We will have to create a database. So click on the Database as shown below and create one.
Database for Pligg CMS
7) Once you have created the database just make a note down of the name of it because we will have to use it to link our Pligg software to this server.
INSTALLATION OF PLIGG :
Now let’s get down to the procedure for the installation of the Pligg Server.
1) Download the software from here Pligg CMS Download
2) Now copy the Pligg folder and paste it in the www folder which is present inside the WAMP folder. If you have installed the wamp server in c drive then
- Open the c drive, click on wamp folder, and then click on the www folder present in it.
ii) Copy and paste the Pligg downloaded file here in the www folder
iii) So you now have a directory at c:wamp/www/pligg
3) Now open your browser and type “localhost”. A page will open up as shown below.
WAMP window_local host_Pligg
4) After clicking on Pligg as shown above another page opens up showing that “No Installation Detected” as shown below.
WAMP window_local host_Pligg
5) Now you have to click on the link Pligg Installation as shown above and you will be redirected to the next page as shown below.
6) After Clicking on the Install Tab as shown in the screen shot above you will be redirected to the install page where you have to click on the language preferred.
7) After selecting the preferred language you will be redirected to another page which will be indicated as “STEP 1”. Here you should click on the button “Next” which is present at the bottom of the page.
8) After clicking on next you will be redirected to next page which will be “Step 2”. Now here the details should be entered as follows.
i) Database name type the database name you have created in the WAMPSEREVER. Here I have created the database under the name “techstumbling_pligg”.
ii) Type the username as “root”
iii) And leave the password empty
iv) The system itself would have entered the remaining two options. So don’t rename the Database server and Table Prefix
After entering the details click on Check Setting to proceed to the next step.
9) Now you will be redirected to the next page which is Step 3 which says that the Data connection has been established. To proceed further click on the button at the bottom motioning “NEXT”.
10) In the next page you would have to scroll down to find a place where you can create your admin details. Here type in a desired admin name and password and a linking email id just in case you forget your Pligg’s admin password.
11) Now as you have created your admin login id and password you just have one more step to complete the installation process. After creating you will be redirected to the next page where you will have to scroll down to find a set of instruction on what to do next. Here the second set of instruction to delete the install folder from you Pligg is necessary to run the software successfully as mentioned in point number 2.
12) To delete the install folder go to the place where you have pasted the Pligg folder (i.e.)
i) Go to C drive – click on wamp folder – click on Pligg folder.
ii) Here you would find an install folder. Delete this file and you’re done.
Pligg_Delete Install folder
As you have installed the Pligg successfully you can login into this by following the below procedure.
- Go to your browser and type http://localhost/pligg/
- There you will have a link to login at the top right most corner.
- Click on that and enter your admin username & password.
That’s it your done. You can now successfully create your own social publishing or bookmarking site.